On This Page
September 9–11, 2020
The 2020 Texas Child Passenger Safety Conference is rescheduled for September 9–11. Please join us for a live but virtual conference!
On This Page
Program and Speaker information is available on the 2020 Texas CPS Conference website.
Participants will have the opportunity to earn at least 8 CEUs.
Thanks to the support of the Center for Transportation Safety of the Texas A&M Transportation Institute, a number of scholarships are available for payment of the registration fee for the 2020 Texas Child Passenger Safety Conference. Scholarship applications will be accepted through August 24, 2020. Recipients will be notified by August 31, 2020.
- Scholarships will cover the registration fee.
- Scholarship applicants may register for the conference early, with payment due or refund provided by September 2, 2020.
- No cash will be awarded.
- If scholarships are declined, a random drawing will be used to award additional recipients, based on available scholarship funds.
- Awards will be based on eligibility determined by the 2020 Texas Child Passenger Safety Advisory Committee.
- TxDOT employees are not eligible, according to Ethics & Compliance Policy.
- The scholarship application is an online form. If you prefer to print a form, please use the application in PDF format and return by email to:
CPS Conference Project Director
With “Scholarship Application” in the Subject line
Seat Check Information
Seat check appointments are offered for technicians who do not have access to an instructor or instructor proxy for sign‐off at checkup events or car seat inspection clinics in their area. You must schedule one appointment for each seat check that you need and be on time for your appointment.
Additionally, you need to be prepared to discuss:
- Proper terminology for the seats — rear‐facing only, convertible, combination and belt‐positioning booster.
- Test the seat belt system and describe which part of the system locks in the car seat.
- Discuss which vehicle seating position is considered safest and why. Discuss which types of seats do better in a side‐impact crash.
- Discuss best practice recommendations for the type of seat you are installing.
- Know what the maximum weight and height is for the seat you are installing (instruction books will be provided).
- Know about LATCH including lower anchor limits and where to look for these limits on the car seat. Know when you can borrow one anchor from each outboard position to create a non‐standard center lower anchor position.
- For booster seats be prepared to describe when a child can safely move from the booster seat to the seat belt. Know the 5‐Step test for good fit.
- Know the Texas car seat law.
If interested, please reserve a time slot during registration.
Registration Fees & Payment Information
Pre-registration will help us in planning and preparing a better conference. Speakers are not required to pay but do need to register. Scholarship recipients must also register.
NOTE: Online registration will be available until 5:00 p.m. CST, September 2, 2020.
To participate you must register online. Please make check or money orders (U.S. currency drawn on a U.S. bank) payable to TTI-CPS20. Event Management & Planning (EM&P) also accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit cards. If paying by check or money order, you may register online and then mail your payment to EM&P. EM&P cannot invoice; therefore, payment of the conference registration fee must be received prior to admission to the conference. NO PURCHASE ORDERS ACCEPTED.
For payment processing purposes, the vendor identification number for TTI-EM&P is 37277277275000. The federal identification number is 74-2270624.
There are no cancellations for this event, but you may transfer your registration to another person if you are unable to attend. Please send transfer requests to [email protected] by September 2, 2020.
2019 LATCH Manual sales are available in advance of the conference through Safe Ride News. All orders made/paid by September 9 will be delivered to the shipping address entered within 2-3 business days of order placement. Note: The last day to order LATCH manuals is September 9.
If you would like more information about exhibiting at this conference, please visit the exhibitor web page.
The Houston Marriott Sugar Land is holding a block of rooms for our use at a group rate of $125. We encourage everyone who needs a sleeping room, at the group rate, to make a reservation immediately. You may make your reservation online.
You may also call for reservations at (800) 228-9290, group name: 2020 Child Passenger Safety Conference, July 2020.
We anticipate the rooms will be booked quickly. Make reservations by June 29, 2020 to receive the discounted rates. After this date, rooms may be available at a higher rate.
For more information about the hotel, go to the Houston Marriott Sugar Land website.
- Off-site Parking: Complimentary
- On-site Parking: Complimentary
- Valet Parking: $25 daily
- Non-overnight Daily Valet: $10
For More Information
Program InformationKatie Womack
Texas A&M Transportation Institute
ph. (979) 317-2532
RegistrationEvent Management & Planning
Texas A&M Transportation Institute
College Station, TX 77843-3135
ph. (979) 317-2222