On This Page
At the Texas Aviation Conference held each spring, the Texas Department of Transportation’s Aviation Division presents four customer service awards. Award nominations for the 2018 Texas Aviation Conference being held at Moody Gardens Hotel in Galveston, Texas, are requested for the following categories:
- Most Improved Airport
- General Aviation Airport of the Year
- General Aviation Airport Manager of the Year
- Reliever Airport of the Year or Reliever Airport Manager of the Year
Nominations accepted until January 22, 2018 and may be submitted by mail to:Becky Vick
Texas Department of Transportation
125 E. 11th Street
Austin, Texas 78701
e-mail to: [email protected] or [email protected].
Nominations should be detailed, professional, and meaningful. They should not be simply a list of attributes, but should be presented in paragraph form commensurate with past-year awards presentation. Examples of previous award presentations are provided at the end of each award category.
Please note that winners from the last five years are not eligible.
Most Improved Airport
This award reflects great improvements at an airport and recognizes the related efforts by a community or individual to make significant upgrades to a general aviation or reliever airport. The nomination should list at least three significant recent changes that have improved the appearance, function and/or role of the facility. The people who played significant roles in the airport development should be included with information on their efforts.
The improvements should be funded and take place outside of TxDOT grants. These improvements should be instituted and implemented mostly by local efforts. Improvements funded by TxDOT can be included, but the funding should have been initiated by local requests for assistance with work and effort on the local level to initiate the changes. This award shows that the airport has made significant changes that are clearly noticeable to users and now better meets the needs of the area. The airport should present a visual appearance that evokes pride from the area served.
- 2013 – Port Isabel-Cameron County Airport
- 2014 – Limestone County Airport
- 2015 – Hemphill County Airport
- 2016 – Mid Valley Airport
- 2017 – Hale County Airport
View TxDOT Aviation Director Dave Fulton’s 2017 Most Improved Airport award presentation.
General Aviation Airport of the Year
This award reflects an airport’s importance to the air transportation system and the region it serves. The nomination should include specific facts that demonstrate the impact this airport makes on the system, listing at least five areas where the airport meets or exceeds the needs of its users. The airport should serve its role in the system, whether basic or utility or transport use, in an exemplary fashion. There should be significant airport management involvement. The airport should meet the majority of the needs of the users and be an excellent example that other airports would want to emulate. There should be considerable local involvement beyond the support and funding from TxDOT.
- 2013 – New Braunfels Regional Airport
- 2014 – Terrell Municipal Airport
- 2015 – Andrews County Airport
- 2016 – Cotulla-La Salle County Airport
- 2017 – Lamesa Municipal Airport
View TxDOT Aviation Director Dave Fulton’s 2017 Airport of the Year award presentation.
General Aviation Airport Manager of the Year
This award reflects the contributions of an airport manager to improve, sustain, enhance and develop the airport he/she manages. The individual should perform at a level above ordinary standards, showing innovation, care and concern for both the airport and its users. This person should possess positive people skills in working with others, and have the confidence and trust of those he/she serves. Nominations should detail how the manager’s knowledge of airport operations is substantial and complete for the applicable airport. Nominations should contain at least six attributes, actions, skills or performance standards of this individual. Detail should clearly describe the dedication and skills of this person.
- 2013 – Debora Melvin, Airport Manager – South Texas International at Edinburg
- 2014 – Brandon Cox, Airport Manager – Moore County Regional Airport
- 2015 – Clint Goff, Airport Manager – Cherokee County Regional Airport
- 2016 – Bruce McKenzie – Kerrville Municipal/Louis Schreiner Field
- 2017 – Rob Blanchard, Airport Manager – McGregor Executive Airport
View TxDOT Aviation Director Dave Fulton’s 2017 General Aviation Airport Manager of the Year award presentation.
Reliever Airport of the Year or Reliever Airport Manager of the Year
One award is given annually to either a reliever airport or a reliever airport manager. Since there are only 21 airports eligible in this category, only one award is presented. The nominations for either of these two awards follow the same standards as those listed for the general aviation airport and the general aviation manager awards.
- 2013 – Fort Worth Meacham Airport
- 2014 – Cynthia Godfrey, Airport Director – Mesquite Metro Airport
- 2015 – Scott Smith, Airport Director – Lone Star Executive Airport
- 2016 – Lone Star Executive Airport
- 2017 – Morris Martin, Airport Manager – Stinson Municipal Airport
View TxDOT Aviation Director Dave Fulton’s 2017 Reliever Airport Manager of the Year award presentation.